With its distinct intellectual assets and ongoing programs of policy-oriented research, the Hoover Institution at Stanford University is a uniquely distinguished contributor to the marketplace of ideas.
—– —– —–
Obamacare vs. Federalism
Does liberty depend on the grace and generosity of government power?
by James Huffman (member of the Property Rights, Freedom, and Prosperity Task Force)
Given the controversy arising from President Obama’s preemptive strike against the U.S. Supreme Court—the President said he was confident the court would uphold the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) because it would be “ a unprecedented, extraordinary step” to overturn a law “passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress”—most people overlooked a revealing statement made by the President’s lawyer.
James Huffman is the Erskine Wood Sr. Professor of Law at Lewis and Clark Law School in Oregon. He served as dean of the law school from 1993 to 2006. Huffman serves on the boards of the National Crime Victims Law Institute, the Foundation for Research on Economics and the Environment, the Classroom Law Project, and the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation. He is a member and former chair of the Executive Committee of the Environment and Property Rights Practice Group of the Federalist Society. His research interests include natural resource, property, environmental, and constitutional law.
The tomorrow’s post, the Hoover Institution discusses ObamaCare as a constitutional and political issue.
- re: The Littlest Pundit (slog.thestranger.com)
- The Great Dissent Part I: Four Justices in Obamacare Make Case for Constitutional Conservatism (johnmalcolm.me)
- Institutionalism vs. Constitutionalism (geneveith.com)
- Obamacare: What’s Next? (txwclp.org)
- Did Justice Roberts Trade Votes with Justice Kennedy? (americanthinker.com)
- Did Justice Roberts Pull One Over on the Liberals? (pauls2k.wordpress.com)
- Did Roberts’ ruling on ObamaCare actually HELP conservatism and help Romney? (crushliberalism.com)
- Is the ObamaCare Legal Challenge Just a Shadowy Libertarian Plot to Repeal the New Deal? (reason.com)
- Five major ObamaCare taxes that will hit your wallet in 2013 (investmentwatchblog.com)
- CPAC’s boy wonder swings left (politico.com)
- Poll: ObamaCare Hurts Economy (commentarymagazine.com)
- ObamaCare Watch: Will Today Be the Day? (txwclp.org)
- The States Resist Obamacare (ConservativeActionAlerts.com)